• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

what is your Delt routine like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portillo

Bluelighter
I got a few questions about delt exercises. Firstly, is progressive overload necessary on delt exercises? Because they say using smaller weights with excellent form produces better results.

Also, if your doing shoulder presses with a barbell or dumbell, is it still necessary to do front lateral raises?

Thanks!

My current routine consists of lateral raises, barbell shoulder presses, and bent over raises.

Cleans are will give your delts the best overall workout, and I believe are essential to building "3D delts" as you called them.

I swith back and forth from dumbell to barbell presses each shoulder workout. Do you workout traps with shoulders? OR on back day? Get you some upright rows in there too.

I also switch back and forth from very heavy weight/low rep day to high rep/low weight every delt(or practically any muscle) day.

I don't like upright rows (fucks with my RC)

I do:
OH press (barbell, 5-8RM)
lateral raise (heavy and 5-6 reps really focusing on tight/powerful form)
Bent Row (8-10RM)

Cleans are will give your delts the best overall workout, and I believe are essential to building "3D delts" as you called them.

I swith back and forth from dumbell to barbell presses each shoulder workout. Do you workout traps with shoulders? OR on back day? Get you some upright rows in there too.

I also switch back and forth from very heavy weight/low rep day to high rep/low weight every delt(or practically any muscle) day.

Thanks. Yeah i do traps with my shoulders. I used to do upright rows but i think i went too heavy and it started hurting my shoulder.

for shoulders I do a massive superset (guess you could call it a crossfit or something)

12 reps front raise
12 reps military press
12 reps upright row
12 reps delt row
12 reps curls
12 reps tricep extension

so 72 reps in a row. i begin with a 20 lb barbell and work my way up by 5 lb increments to 55 lbs. I think i can do 60 lbs now but it would be very very difficult.

i've never gained so much in my upper body before. the last 2 months of doing this every 3rd day has just blown up my shoulders, traps, arms, and upperback.

the best part is that I do 8 sets of this x 72 reps = nearly 600 reps and it only takes about 20 minutes to complete and yet it gets me SUCH an amazing pump, adrenalin rush, and gets me sweating like crazy.

I do a leg one too with squats, goodmornings, sldl, and deadlifts.. but that one just makes me want to puke.

Yeah, I'm not too sure, but my workout goes like:

Superset of

12 lateral raises
12 upright rows

then

12 Shoulder press

then

12 dumbell shrugs

....are front lateral raises necessary? I never worked them out until this past december, and i noticed that they were probably under-developed, so I'm assuming it helps if you incorporate them somtimes.

forgot about deadlifts

they are key to healthy trap and delt development imo

imo upright rows and shrugs are not necessary if you do oh press, lat raises, deadlift, and bent row

Clean and presses are great for your delts and overall core strength. Sadly they screw up my wrists so I rarely do them anymore.

My routine

3-4 sets overhead press dumbbell
3 sets Arnold press
3 sets lat raise
3 sets upright row
4 sets seated bent-over lateral raise

on every other week I change up a few exercises for others not mentioned.
Also one week I generally go heavy in the 5 to 8 rep range then the next week high reps like 10-15.
Seems to work for me but everyone responds to a routine differently.

....are front lateral raises necessary? I never worked them out until this past december, and i noticed that they were probably under-developed, so I'm assuming it helps if you incorporate them somtimes.

My barbell presses hit my front delts pretty good, so i wasnt sure weather i still need to hit them with raises.

I believe side raises tax the medial more than front raises do (which tax the medial and anterior)

a person can usually do more with a front raise than they can a side raise

a person can usually do more with a front raise than they can a side raise

True in my case. When you're doing side raises Portillo, try doing one arm at a time, and leaning up against a wall with your other shoulder. Try to be at fairly decent angle, while keeping your spine as straight as possible.

^ that seems like solid advice to really isolate the movement, good ideas.

but there's just something great about raising two dumbbells at once to the side with intense contractile effort...what can I say it just feels good to squeeze those muscles both at once :D

cheers Kstoner :D

Just one more question. When it comes to lateral raises, is higher reps better than lower?

Probably the best thing to do is alternate between high and low reps. One week do 6-8 the next do 10-15. Seems to keep the muscles guessing and helps gain both mass and strength.

^ good thing to do is shoot for 6-7 reps with a certain weight and then after that workout/recovery then blast out 10 reps if you can with that weight the next time you repeat that workout. Then after recovery and next time you do workout add more weight and drop the reps back down to 5-6 and push it back up after next workout....etc...

Gaian Planes;6871301 cheers Kstoner :D[/QUOTE said:
Haha cheers mate!

I also like going heavy one week, then light the next. Mixing it up has always served me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.